The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is an entry level position and a gateway to a lucrative and exciting lifelong career. There is no previous experience required and once you begin you have countless options for advancement. In fact, it is common for doctors, nurses, and firefighters to have started as an EMT at the beginning of their medical careers.
The EMT is an first responder to all medical emergencies. Every time 911 receives a medical call, EMT’s are called upon to handle the situation. They work closely with police and firefighters and are responsible for quickly and competently administering pre-hospital medical care to people injured in accidents, victims of crimes, and other medical situations. The EMT has an important role in saving lives and critical in the process of ensuring patients are stabilized and arrive at the nearest hospital ready for more advanced treatment.
EMT Training Schools Nearby
Explore a new career with Pima Medical Institute. We offer a number of certificate, associate, and bachelor's degree programs in the medical, allied health, dentistry, nursing, mortuary science, veterinary, and massage therapy fields.
- Emergency Medical Services
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical college offering over 30 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs. As a leader in Technical Career Education in southern New England, New England Tech is committed to providing hands-on technological programs that prepare graduates for positions of leadership in the technical, industrial, business, and allied health communities. Most of our associate degree programs can be completed in as little as 18 months, and bachelor’s degree programs in as little as three years.
- Associate in Science Degree in Paramedic Technology
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
You can get started on a new career with Institute of Technology. We offer diploma and associate degree programs for careers in the culinary, technical, medical, business, and legal fields.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.iot.edu/disclosure.
- Emergency Medical Technician
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technology
Healthcare Schools Nearby
- Medical General
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Dental Assistant(Diploma)
- And more...
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Gerontology
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Sustainability Management
- M.S. in Nursing/Master of Health Administration/Informatics
- And more...
- Diploma - Medical General
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
Sanford-Brown can help prepare you for a rewarding career in health and dental care, business, paralegal, criminal justice, Design & Media Arts or information technology. With nearly 20 campuses in the Sanford-Brown Institute and Sanford-Brown College divisions, selecting a school that suits your particular career training and education needs is easy.
- Associate of Science in Allied Health
- Diploma in Medical Assistant
- Diploma in Dental Assisting with Expanded Functions
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
Designed with the needs of working adult students in mind, South University, Online Programs is built on the similar curriculum offered at South University's campus locations. As a student at South University, Online Programs you will receive the same quality instruction, variety of learning options and level of service found at the campus locations.
- Allied Health Science (AS)
- Specialization in Nurse Educator (MSN)
- Doctor of Nurse Practice
- And more...
- Executive Leader Graduate Certificate
- Bachelor of Science: Health and Wellness
- Master of Science - DNP Executive Leader
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in CollegeAmerica is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Medical Specialties (AOS)
- Health Services Management (BS)
- Healthcare Administration (BS)
- Diploma: Chiropractic Assisting
- Occupational Diploma: Practical Nursing (LPN)
- Occupational Diploma: Medical Assisting
- And more...
What Does a Stanton MI EMT Do?
The EMT is responsible for quickly assessing a situation and stabilizing anyone needing medical attention. The following is a short list of EMT responsibilities:
- Quickly respond to 911 calls at a moments notice.
- Evaluate patient condition and determine a course of action.
- Administer treatment and care, following EMT protocols.
- Stabilize patients for transport. Including using braces, restraints and backboards.
- Assist in transportation of patients to hospitals by ambulance or helicopter.
- Monitor vital signs during care and transportation.
- Report and Communicate condition of patient, evaluation, and care given to hospital emergency staff.
- Other tasks as dictated by the type of emergency.
In addition to the above the EMT spends their time in honing their skills and capabilities in handling emergency situations. They are also responsible for taking steps to ensure that their vehicles and equipment is always fully operational and that they have a ready inventory and access to needed medical supplies. The EMT is part of a team that is always prepared to instantly mobilize to save a life.
EMT Levels, Training, and Scope of Care
The EMT provides care as determined by patient need and the type of emergency. There are four levels of advancement as an EMT. Within each of these levels you are allowed to administer and perform an increased range of care and medical procedures.
EMT (Basic) – This is an entry level EMT. It requires more than 140 hours of training that includes both classroom (didactic) and field experience. The entry level EMT is allowed to do the following:
- Air passageway clearing and management.
- Basic ventilation.
- Basic Oxygenation.
- Caring for Trauma.
- Basic Cardiology.
- Basic medical care and bandaging.
- Patient stabilization using braces, backboards, and restraints.
EMT (Basic) – This is the first level of certified career advancement for an EMT. In order to become an I/85 you must have on the job experience as an EMT (Basic), take additional training, and pass a certification exam administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) . The EMT (I/85) is allowed to do everything that an EMT (Basic) can do and the following:
- Intravenous therapy.
- Using advanced airway equipment.
- Increased authorization in assessing more complicated emergencies.
- An increased list of medications that can be used.
EMT (I/99) – The EMT (I/99) is one advancement above the I/85. This includes more on the job experience and the passing another NREMT certification exam. The I/99 can do everything the I/85 can do and add the following:
- Endotracheal intubation.
- Nasogastric tube procedures.
- Using more advanced cardiac equipment and defibrillators.
- Controlling heart arrhythmias.
- Other more advanced procedures.
EMT (Paramedic) – The paramedic is the top level EMT. Becoming a paramedic involves first becoming an I/99, then adding additional job experience and completing over 1,100 hours of additional training. All paramedics must pass the NREMT paramedic certification exam. Paramedics can do everything the I/99 can do with an added long list of procedures and medications they can administer. All paramedics must attend a training program that is nationally accredited in order to qualify for the paramedic certification exam. This includes:
- Advanced trauma care.
- Advanced airway and breathing management.
- Advanced Cardiac procedures.
- High level blood chemistry and cardiac analysis.
- And a long list of allowed pharmacological treatments.
For a useful chart of procedures allowed for each level EMT visit EMT Levels and Procedures Allowed. While this chart is not fully inclusive of all duties and procedures, it does outline the most common.
How Do I Become a Certified EMT?
Stanton MI EMT’s are certified by the NREMT under the guidance of the Emergency Medical Services division within the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration.
The process is simple to understand and outlined below:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Pass a physician physical that clears you for your ability to perform as an EMT.
- Have a current CPR card.
- Successfully complete an EMT training program.
- Take and pass the NREMT certification exam.
Choosing a Stanton MI Accredited Training Program Is Important
EMT training programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) under a joint agreement with the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the EMS Professions (CoAEMSP). This accreditation is ultimately under the jurisdiction and guidance of the NHTSA.
That is a lot of of acronyms with the only one you should be concerned about is the CAAHEP. Currently there is only a requirement for paramedics to attend an accredited program therefore you can attend a non-accredited program and still become an EMT. The problem with this approach is that it limits you to prospective employers and to achieving qualification of becoming certified through the NREMT exam. Therefore it is possible, but difficult to become certified if you attend a non-accredited program.
The only smart choice is to start you new career off correctly and to make certain you attend an accredited training program. Accredited programs are not difficult to locate within most communities. They are given by community colleges, vocational schools, technical schools, and some hospitals and public agencies.
Make certain the program you choose is accredited. Accredited programs give you a solid foundation from which to launch your new career.
The Stanton MI EMT
Whether you plan to stay and work in Stanton MI or move elsewhere your EMT certification and training will qualify you for jobs anywhere in the United States. The EMT career is filled with opportunity. From serving as the foundation for a more advanced medical career to advancing through the different levels of an EMT to earn more income and have the ability to perform more advanced procedures. EMT certification is one of the few opportunities where you can enter into it inexperienced and without a specific background and then advance through career options that will provide you with a good stable income for a lifetime.
Beyond career stability, great benefits, and a great income EMT’s also maintain a high level of respect within any community. Just as police and firefighters are appreciated as first responders so is the EMT. An EMT career is a great choice for anyone looking for a starting point that can benefit them for a lifetime.